Happy Monday everyone! Our district is back to work today and expecting students next Wednesday. Cue screaming. What do you think the worst part about district training is? I think for me, right now, is that I’m in meetings when I want to be game designing in my classroom.
Some updates for the year?
- I have a new class of 30 students. Yup, 30. You may think this is not a lot, but let me remind you, I’m an ESL teacher. This English Language Development class? Is packed!
- I have a class with mixed levels–from total nonspeakers to borderline shouldn’t be in my class, so that will be fun.
- With the exception of the ELD class, every single class has a student that is in at least one more class.
So those are the challenges that I’m facing right now, each of which is going to involve some different changes to the game? What are some of my solutions?
- My class of 30 will be divided into 5 groups of six, each working their way through the game independently (and possibly competing to see who can be more successful at it.)
- In my mixed level class, I’ll be running regular station rotations. One of the stations will involve students completing different activities and collecting information as they move across the map. Though they will do this in groups, they will, in the long run, be working as a class as they go through the story line.
- Aspects of the game in each of my classes will have to differ class to class… like the location of the keys to the mysterious door in the library… but more on that later.
In other news, I’m still having problems with Screen-Cast-O-Matic. I sent an error report to the team. And they did get back to me in a day or two! So… great customer service. And they had a good suggestion: update the software. Because I’m apparently running an older version. But… it didn’t do anything to fix the problem. So… still working on cutting my first classroom set up video into something semi-watchable.
On the bright side! I ordered a Breakout EDU box, which should be arriving today or tomorrow. So I will definitely have an update about that up next week, if not before. I have literally been dreaming about Breakout EDU since I learned about it. I am so excited!